Sunday, October 11, 2009

Weekend in Kokrobite

We've had lot of personality tension in the home base since our trip to Elmina last weekend. Some people are just not meant to get along and are not even trying. It's frustrating to relive the drama I thought I left behind in high school. They are really starting to get ridiculous. I'm kind of excited to be seeing the worst offenders leave after this week.

This weekend we traveled to Kokrobite on the coast for a chill weekend at the beach. We only took part of the group and thankfully both groups of drama queens were split up so it really did end up being a relaxing time.

It was only supposed to be a 4.5 hr trip this time, but we hit traffic in the capital, Accra, again this weekend so it took much longer and we only got to our resort, Big Milly's Backyard, for the end of the traditional dancing and drumming show. But even that last 3o minutes was awesome. Some of our group was pulled onstage but, thankfully, I was not one of them.

After the dancing we got settled into our place, an "8 person house", which ended up being one bed and 6 mattresses on floors and window seats. It's as close to camping as I've been in quite awhile. Later Friday night we sat a played cards next to the beach with a couple we meant from England. It was perhaps the funniest game of Bullsh*t I have been in. Everyone was was tired from the drive in but valiantly attempting to bluff their way to a win. The quite and unassuming strategy seemed to work best as Rachel, a pretty quite woman from the UK, and I won the two games.

Saturday was all about laying out on the beach and playing in the ocean. It was so relaxing after the rush-rush and drama of the weekend before. I made sure to wear 50 spf sunscreen the entire time but I still got a little burnt on my back. Guess I didn't reapply soon enough. It wasn't so bad yesterday with the breee from the ocean cooling me off, but back in Hohoe being my own heat source is not a lot of fun.

Saturday there was a reggae band playing for about 5 hours straight. Well into the morning. IT was such a fun time, especialy since some of the voluntees who have been here for awhile have made some great Ghanaian friends who met us there. They diffinitely helped keeping away unwanted male attention, which here in Ghana is a problem. Some of the volunteers have received marriage proposals from guys they meet on the street. It's a cultural thing but at the same time highly frustrating and annoying at times. Some of the girls have just taken to wearing a ring and saying that they are engaged. Too bad I don't wear rings.

On the way back we dropped one of the volunteers off at the airport as her 6 weeks were up. It was sad and made me not want to think aout leaving. I could definitely stay here for longer than 5 weeks.

1 comment:

  1. At Uncle Matt's last night I showed everyone the post we thought maybe you should make an exception and start wearing a ring and save you the hassle. Everyone loves your blogs, keep them coming and don't be scaring us about staying over there longer than the 5 weeks :o) Love Ya! Mom

    ReplyDelete