Monday, October 26, 2009

The Boondocks

It was Brenna's last night in Ghana. We told the boys that we wanted to hit the "underground" hot spots in Hohoe. We didn't realize how underground we were going.

The Boondocks they said. I thought to myself, "That's an interesting name for a chop bar. I wonder why it's called that? I know what that word means at home, I wonder if it means the same here?. " So I should have guessed what the night would entail. But I didn't.

We start walking. The boys warn us that it's a bit of a hike. Okay, we say. We are game for anything. On and on we walk. Past the radio station, that I had thought 2 days before was the edge of town. Past the store fronts. Past the street lights. Past the traffic. Finally we come to this gas station in the middle of nowhere. We continue past.

No they say, we've arrived. The Boondocks. Ahhh, I think. They sure do have a mastery of subtlety here.

It was actually a great place. Great hip life music (which I've grown to love and have almost a hundred songs of). Great variety of drinks. We all had this non-alcoholic pear cider that was delicious. It's nice to be able to have something other than water now and again. Oh, how I miss lemonade.

I wish the Boondocks was closer to town, because as is, I can safely say I'll probably never go there again. I think I pick something a little closer for my last night in Ghana. It was fun and the walk back was highly amusing. But if we had been walking by ourselves, without guys we trusted (both the ghanaian boys we know and Dan, one of the other volunteers) it wouldn't have been nearly as fun.

Next time, however, I will know to take Ghanaian names literally.

No comments:

Post a Comment