Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Insects, Reptiles, and Other Ghanaian Creatures

In the weeks that I've been here, I've come across the full spectrum of Ghanaian creatures. Not all of them have been pleasant experiences.

Grasscutter
Not quite sure what it is, but I believe it to be something similar to a ground hog. I had heard about them for several days before my first, and hopefully only, encounter. We were driving along the road on our way to Accra, the capital city. This trips are harrowing as it is with the Rhode Island size potholes and various pedestrians and cyclists lining the the way. However, on this particular trip we were stopped in traffic. Traffic can get horrible, especially in the constructions zones around Accra, and here sitting in traffic is a multitasking experience. Vendors of all sorts come up to the car windows and try to sell you their wares. You can get everything from food to toilet paper to mislabeled maps of the world. And, also, apparently dead grass cutter yet to be skinned. Eyes glazed over staring at me from the other side of a thin piece of glass. I didn't get a good luck because as I realized what it was we were already moving on. I'm thankful.

Mosquitoes
I knew that they would be bad. TIA after all (This Is Africa). But they sneak up on you at the most inopportune times when you are stuck out without bug spray. During the night it's the worst but daytime is when most of us are caught unawares. One of the volunteers got Malaria. It's surprisingly treatable here. It really is the one thing the medical field can treat and treat well here. If you have anything else, you are better off self-diagnosing because they'd probably just shine a flashlight on it.

Giant Snails
The very first night we were here the volunteers staying over from the last start date took us to a local hang out spot. It's pitch black after 5pm and we are walking on muddy paths through the dark. One of the volunteers warned us of the giant snails and to watch out because it would be really gross if you stepped on it. While I believed her I didn't realize what she meant by "giant". The next day we were sitting out on the patio and the same volunteer pointed one out to me on the wall. So now I know giant equals softball size ball of goo and slime.

Lizards and Other Unwelcome House Pets
Lizards, Spiders, and a very nasty rumor about mice have all run rampant in the home base. It isn't uncommon for you to look up and see one of these scurrying across the wall or ceiling . Or over the tile floor. Lizards I can handle. They're cute and non threatening. Spiders on the other hand, that's a completely different story. In a house full of girls the entire neighborhood probably knows when we see one. Mice and I are DEFINITELY not on good terms. I am very very very glad I haven't spotted one and continue to hope that they are indeed just a nasty rumor.

Goats and Chickens
Goats and Chickens here are something inbetween pets and food. Pets until they need to be eaten I guess. But they run free all over the place. At feeding times they headback home for dinner. Other than that they are in yards, in the road, in houses, and sometimes really unlucky ones can be found in the gutters after a run in with a car.

Van Cockroaches?
Yes, I did indeed say cockroaches. One of the vans we rode to Kokrobite was infested. I found out BEFORE I took a 6 hour car ride in it. Imagine how comforting it was to know that somewhere there were cockroaches crawling around. I started feeling itchy and jumpy. The whole ride I kept my feet off the floor. Although I guess that wouldn't have stopped them from crawling up the seat and into our clothes. They didn't but I don't know what I would have done if they had. Probably screamed. Stopped the car. Shook them out...And got back in. TIA after all. Somethings you just have to deal with. Unfortunately, including cockroaches.


No comments:

Post a Comment