Monday, October 19, 2009

Eugemot Orphanage

First, I want to apologize for my horrible spelling. I'm a bad typist normally and trying to write these posts under a time limit at the internet cafe is not helping matters. Now that's taken care of I can get down to the more interest parts.

Last Thursday, several of us volunteers went to Eugemot (U-G-Mot) Orphanage with Annie, the volunteer who is placed there. We normally only go to placement in the mornings but Annie finds time during most weekday afternoons to make it back out. I now understand why.

There are just under 50 orphans who live there. Their ages range from 1 yr old to 15-16 yrs old. There are 32 boys who sleep in one room, 18 bunk beds stacked 3 high. That's almost 2 boys for every twin sized bed. The girls don't have it any easier: 17 of them in 9 beds. The orphanage has 7 rooms in total, 2 bedrooms, a main living quarters that is about the size of a small family room in the states, an office, a tiny bathroom, a kitchen, and a storage room. There is no room really for the orphans to place their belongings. They keep everything they own in plastic bags tucked under or around their beds.

We arrive in the van and we can hear the children yelling "Annie! Annie! Annie!" as we pull up. As we get out, we are surrounded by children with faces lit up with excitement. They didn't know who we were but were happy to see us anyway. We were asked our names then our hands were grabbed to be given the official tour by a sweet little hellion named Sarah with wild hair and a contagious laugh.

Also on the grounds are 3 or 4 pavilions. This is where classes are held. They are thatched roof and cement floor pavilions (with tables fortunately). There is nothing to keep out inclement weather. But they probably don't have much paper to be blown around by the wind anyway.

I felt at a loss at first at what to do and who to play with. I was offered to join a game of Uno with another volunteer who had been to the orphanage the week before and had already made a connection with some of the children. From there I just got sucked into whatever was going on next. I built block towers, gotten my butt kicked in Jacks, taught some kids War, read books, sang songs. In all, the kids were happy and joyful. That they were starving for attention was obvious. But none of them were maicious towards us, which cannot be the same for the kids at St. Francis primary school where I am placed.

It made me see truly how much volunteers are needed in the area. I had been doubting the necessity of my being here at St. Francis because it seems like we do so little there. I know we are making a difference with our literacy program--we can already see results and improvement--but we are there for maybe 2 hours a day. Thus far I have been more on vacation than a volunteer trip.

But after the trip to the orphanage, I think that will change. I plan on going back with Annie several times this week. I know the kids there can get so much out of just 2 hours of my time and energy. Even that little bit will make me feel like I've accomplished something here.

No comments:

Post a Comment